2012 Ten: Rhode Island

Halfway there and the year is just about halfway over. As long as I keep this pace up I should be okay. The trouble is I think my traveling will be limited for a few months. Well, we will see and trust in fate.
West entrance to the old Central Falls station.

This one could have been called the former glory of the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad. From what I have read and seen in old photographs the Central Falls, Rhode Island train station was once a thing of beauty. Now it reminds me of a fairytale princess captured by an evil witch and cast under a terrible spell. The building sits atop Amtrak's Northeast Corridor between Boston and Providence and lies forgotten, battered and rusted. Its west entrance, sealed off behind a chain link fence, opens on a CVS Pharmacy parking lot. Its east entrance to crumbling pavement. The soul of a great building still exists under the decades of neglect, piles of graffiti and rusting steel, but I don't know what it will take to save it. The city of Central Falls is in a rough way, the state of Rhode Island isn't rolling in cash and I doubt Amtrak wants to take on such a project. Perhaps some rich benefactor with deep pockets and desire to try will come along and save it. Or maybe it will just collapse into the right of way. Who knows?
Beauty Suspended: MBTA train 815, running a few minutes late for its final destination of Providence, emerges into the afternoon sunlight after passing under the remains of the New Haven's Central Falls train station.

Comments

Popular Posts