Zurich Tram 2009

I took this after almost recovering from jet lag on our trip to Switzerland, France and Germany in October 2009. We landed in Zurich the day before and had pre-booked a hotel near the airport. My wife, who is an expert on travel, always says "have the first hotel booked and make sure you can check in early" when you first arrive in a new country. She is right about that.

 We did learn another lesson, however, about taking a toddler on an overseas flight -- don't expect to sleep very well. My Little Helper had slept on the plane from Boston and arrived in Zurich quite refreshed. I wish I could say her father had the same ability to sleep on airplanes. He doesn't.


My wife and I had to make sure there was no way she could escape from the hotel room and that there was nothing that she could do to hurt herself and hope for the best. One of us managed to stay awake with her through most of the day/night until she herself got tired and fell asleep. We were fortunate enough to have a tram stop in front of the hotel and she did enjoy watching the ``trolley trains'' come and go and the people get on and off. In the end, we managed to wake the next morning more or less ready to go.



After breakfast we walked to the tram stop across the from the hotel to take a trip back to the airport to catch a train to Zurich's main station and start our adventure. This was the first time I had seen grass growing over tram tracks and I learned this is a pretty common practice in a lot of places. I have to say it looks pretty cool. Kind of like having a tram run across your front lawn and it is much nicer than an asphalt or paving stone median.



Comments

Popular Posts