LMS

I have been working on a trip report from a journey I took around Great Britain in 2006, but work has been keeping me busy and I have had to put it aside for now. I hope to come back to it and get it posted in the next few weeks. In the meantime, here is a film from my favorite British railroad, the London, Midland & Scottish Railway or LMS for short. YouTube is loaded with LMS promotional and training films, so if you like this one browse around for more. Another favorite features Sam Slack and Stephen Smart. It tells the tale of two LMS salesmen and their good and bad habits that take on the job.

I like the LMS for a lot of reasons. One of the biggest reasons is that handsome crimson lake scheme that set it apart from its other three big contemporaries lines of the era. The Southern, L.N.E.R and Great Western all used some version of green on most of their locomotives. (I will admit I do think the L.N.E.R locomotives are striking. Click here to see the Green Arrow, a preserved L.N.E.R locomotive I got a shot of in York in the summer of 2006.)

While the L.N.E.R certainly gave the LMS a run for the money, I think the LMS locomotives won the beauty contest  hands down. I accept that there might be alternate views on this subject and I am open to listening to differing views -- email or post in the comments section. Until then, I hope you enjoy this short diversion and I will keep on working on that trip report from the summer of 2006.


Comments

Popular Posts