Three: Atlanta, Georgia February 3, 2014

Norfolk Southern hi-hood SD-40-2 leads a manifest freight that is about to pass beneath the Georgia World Congress Center in Atlanta. The World Congress Center is the city's convention hall and built between the Georgia Dome and CNN headquarters and a short walk from Olympic park. The train to the left is a BNSF coal train.

The BNSF train was led by SD-70MAC 9928 and was paired with SD-70MAC 9791 in the simple green scheme many BN locomotives had just prior to the merger. I have to say the old scheme looks almost ancient now. As an inhabitant of the Northeast, who rarely sees BNSF power, I was surprised to see that there are still locomotives in that paint scheme. As it turned out, one of the two units at the end also had the vintage BN paint scheme.
I almost forgot, I caught some CSX power passing by on a distant track. I was a little slow on the draw, but I still caught a couple of the units.

And I got some more Norfolk Southern. Not bad for a short break between events.


Georgia is a state I didn't expect to be in this year, so I consider it a bonus. It also gives me a pretty good feeling that we will get to 20 states again this year even though we're still just on three. I have four more New England states, which are doable and almost certainly gimmes. Then New York and Pennsylvania -- I always end up in both those states pretty much once a year. And throw in Quebec, because I often end up there too. So, while I may only be on state three in February, seven more are in easy grasp. Plus, I am counting on a ROAD TRIP later this year. Well, that's my strategy.

As I experienced last year, sometimes chance plays an unexpected role. But in truth the same can be said for this trip to Georgia. I should say sometimes fortune smiles and sometimes it frowns. Let's stay positive and keep working for the goal.



Comments

Popular Posts