Eight: Cheyenne, Wyoming April 25, 2016.




There aren't many trees to block the view so the vastness of the world is laid bare for all to see. The landscape dwarfs everything, no matter if it is a beautiful wide open vista or an industrial vignette at the edge of a town. For someone ``back East'' there is never any doubt in my mind I have arrived at a new world every time I head West.


Cheyenne is the largest city and also the capital of Wyoming. It is tucked in the southeast corner of the state just over the Colorado line. According to the U.S. Census, it has a population of 62,845 as of 2014. It is also a major transportation hub with Interstates 25 and 80 crossing nearby and of course the Union Pacific line to the west passing through town a few blocks away from the state capital building. 

A storm was starting to come in while I was there and I had to get back to Colorado, so I didn't get a chance to stay longer. But I did walk around the train station that houses the Cheyenne Depot Museum. Unfortunately it was closed when I was there but it looks to have a nice collection of relics from the Union Pacific's past.



There are also a few relics of the past on display in the Union Pacific yard. Such as this guy, a forlorn E unit (I think) tucked behind some buildings but easily visible from the depot's parking lot.






Then of course there is the modern era so readily on display. While I admired the heritage and looked over my shoulder at the building purple clouds and flashes of lightening a solid train of grain cars pulled through town heading east for Nebraska, not far off.







Comments

Popular Posts