One: Arizona January 6 -10, 2019

I had to go to Arizona to get the first trains of 2019. I got sent to Phoenix on business and luckily my meetings were downtown on the trolley line. I enjoy seeing trolleys run on modern streets between skyscrapers and steel and glass office buildings. It seems almost out of place or at least unlikely to my East Coast eye. When I see a trolley I expect to see it in a tunnel underground or running through an incredibly old right of way.

I didn't limit myself to just traction shots. On my last day, I had a few hours before my flight, so I got up early and headed from Tempe down to Maricopa. I was running against the normal commute, so the 30-mile trip slipped by in no time. Before I went off on the old Sunset Route, though, I needed coffee. I saw a Starbucks, but, eh, Starbucks never really thrills me much. I kept going and was rewarded with a local shop called Good Donut. A large coffee -- milk and sugar -- and a Boston Cream donut later and I was on Route 238 headed into the Sonoran Desert. vvv

The sky was overcast, not great light to get either birds or trains, but sometimes you just have to take what you get. In no time at all an eastbound U.P. stack train swept past. Unfortunately it was blocked by a set of autoracks on a siding. I didn't fret, I have been on this line before I knew I wouldn't have to wait long. I parked at the edge of the road inside the National Monument area and tried to get a good shot of a hawk perched on a distant tree. As I was lining up the shot I heard the distinct sound of a set of diesels straining with a heavy load. In no time I caught sight of the headlight and the train then slowly came closer.

The nice thing about the desert is that you can see a long way off and you usually have plenty of time to get ready. The eastbound was followed by a parade of other U.P. freights going in both directions. I I got a lot of them as they passed. I am a sucker for armor yellow and gray even if the diesels all start to look alike after a while.
Who knows when you are going to get to return to a place as beautiful as the Sonoran Desert? Who knows when you are going to see another U.P. freight? I can't say I know the answer to either questio, so as always, I try not to take anything for granted.

The hour hand soon caught up with me and it was time to go. The clock had won this round and I was off to the airport happy that 2019 was off to a great start.

Comments

Popular Posts