Texas: Once Upon a Time

I was on track to go to Texas this week for a conference but that got pushed into the virtual space because of Omicron. I'm not too upset about it. The idea of getting shoved through airport security and then shoehorned into a tiny little 737 seat didn't send me toward my ecstatic zone. In fact, it has been more than two years since I have been inside an airplane or an airport, and I can say I am not missing the experience. The endless headlines about lunatics fighting in the aisles hasn't keyed up my interest in the prospects of flying either. I think in the future I may use ocean liners and trains to get around. Too bad someone hasn't built a tunnel connection the East Coast to Ireland. Anyway, in honor of my almost trip to Texas I am posting this photo I took in Brownsville in January 2020, which was my last trip on an airplane. I had a flight voucher from American Airlines and managed to use most of it up before the lockdown happened. I packed a bag, my camera, and set out across southern Texas to look at birds and trains on a solo trip. It was an enjoyable experience. I made it as far as the Rio Grande and gazed across the border at Mexico. I regret not taking a quick spin through our southern neighbor just to say I did it and possible see some new birds. Maybe I will get another chance, if I can get over my distaste for flying.

Comments

Popular Posts