A Friday in Boston

I went into work the day after Thanksgiving. I was practically the only one there. I put the time and solitude to work on some projects I have been putting off for a few week and made some pretty good progress. Happy with myself, I figured I would take a short trip for lunch. (I was still pretty stuffed from Thanksgiving the day before, so I didn't really need to eat.)

I decided to head down to the campus of Northeastern University and check out the MBTA's Green Line on Huntington Avenue. The light was pretty amazing. It was about 2:30, but given the time of year the sun is already pretty low down in the sky. As it was the day after Thanksgiving in the U.S., the campus was pretty much empty.

I didn't have long to wait before I saw my first train -- a two-car set led by a Type 7 LRV.  I got a photo of it crossing Parker Street. While the light was decent the shadows were kind of tough to maneuver around. One of the hazards of taking photos in an urban environment is getting the right mix of light and shadow. I am still struggling with my camera, so I found myself spending way too much time concentrating on it and not on the shots I was taking. As a result when I got home I just had a couple that I thought were worthwhile to post. (I am about one-third the way to saving enough pennies and dimes to upgrade the camera, until then I will just have to make due.)
OUTBOUND: A Type 7 leads an outbound train across Parker Street on the MBTA's E-Line.

After taking the shot at Parker Street I went down to the Museum of Fine Arts to see if there was a good angle there to get the front of the building and an LRV in the same shot. I had some promising ones but there was always a car in the way. I figure I am going to have to come back early some morning and try again when there is less traffic. I am also thinking it might be a good location to shoot in a snow storm.

BIG GREEN MACHINES: A Type 8 heads outbound down Huntington Ave. in Boston.

I finished up walking back to Ruggles Station -- I took the Orange Line because it is quickest way to get to and from my office. As I was walking up Forsyth Street I caught sight of the LRVs passing by on Huntington Avenue. There was something about the shot that just made me want to take it, so I waited. As I was waiting a PeterPan Bus pulled around the corner and practically took up the entire street. It circled around behind me and I was hoping an LRV would pass by while it was out of the shot. No such luck. The bus came back and parked at the side of the road. I shrugged my shoulders and decided it wouldn't be such a bad prop. Besides, I have a soft spot in my heart for PeterPan buses -- I used to ride them to and from UMass 30 years ago.

After I got the last shot, I hopped on the Orange Line and was back to my office in just over an hour. Not a bad lunch.

Comments

Popular Posts