Lowell, Massachusetts: Part 2

Lowell (Part 2)

So after you leave the Gallagher Transportation building take a left on Thorndike Street and head downtown. If you keep on going down to the visitor's center of the National Park -- and I suggest that you do -- you will be treated by a static display of a Boston & Maine steam switcher and trolleys.
A Lowell streetcar prepares for another run next to the old B&M 0-6-0 switcher.

I am sorry to say that I have never ridden on the trolleys. I should have. I know my Little Helper would certainly enjoy it. So, I am going to have to remedy this. I have, however, taken a lot of photos and I think the ones in black and white are my favorites.

Lowell streetcar at the National Streetcar Museum.

The trolleys are part of the National Streetcar Museum, which is a ``satellite exhibit of the Seashore Trolley Museum,'' according to Seashore's website. One of the trolleys is an old New Orleans car and the other two are replicas of Brill cars. I have never seen the New Orleans car, but I have seen both of the Brill cars. They are quite nice. The cars run from May through October and the museum suggests giving them a call first to see if they are open.


CSX power waits for a crew at Western Ave.

After you get your photos downtown, it is time to head back to the old Boston and Maine mainline and go west. Our next stop is Western Avenue, which is a little tricky to find. I suggest you use a map or GPS. Western Ave. runs alongside the tracks and there are a number of old mill buildings in the area that are being used for other uses, so there are lots of people around.
A cold Sunday morning at Western Ave. in Lowell, Massachusetts

I have found, until recently, the best time to go up there is on a Sunday morning. I usually found a few freights waiting for crews, as well as some interesting run through power. I make a point of poking my head in every time I am in the city.

To keep this section from getting too long, I am going to cut it off here and end with Part 3 later on.

Comments

Popular Posts