Transit Houston

I looked back at the blog and decided I have too many numbers going -- ``transit one,'' ``odd-ball one,'' etc. So, to make my like simpler I will just number the states and leave the other categories alone until I am more organized. That means I will probably never number the cities again.

Anyway... The last time I went to Houston I didn't take any photos of the transit system they have down there. This time, however, I had an appointment in the Museum District and much to my delight the light rail system goes right through the middle of it.

Houston opened its system in 2004 and uses Siemens Avanto S70 cars. I only saw them running as single units and I am not sure they double them up, but it doesn't seem to matter because these are big vehicles. (More than 90 feet long according to our friends at Wikipedia.) The reason they seem big to me is that they are about 20 longer than the LRVs the MBTA uses in Boston.
This shot gives you a better feel for their size. The cars have clean lines and a modern look. Their whistles are kind of reminiscent of a steam train, which further adds to their character. I did see a couple of units with ``ad wraps'' but didn't manage to get a good photo of one. At the end of the day, I did manage to catch one passing as I was on my way back to the hotel.

It's advertising Rice University and wasn't as colorful as some of the others I saw. I liked the way this shot came out because it gives the impression of speed. I like pan and pace shots. I was in a gas station parking lot here, so no one has to worry that I was chasing this unit down the street shooting out the window.

I was pretty busy and didn't have a chance to ride the line. The next time I go to Houston I will have to find a reason to check it out. 

The reason all the shots are in black and white is that I was screwing around with the camera settings. I shut of RAW and left monochrome on. I forgot I did this until I got home, so I have no way of converting the files into color. I usually shoot in RAW with monochrome on. As most of you probably know, you can then get a color picture from the RAW no matter how you shot it. Anyway, I will be a little better organized next time.

Comments

Popular Posts