Memphis

I was in Memphis a few weeks back -- I will have some BNSF trains to post soon -- and while I was there I had a chance to check out the city's refurbished trolley system. I didn't get a chance to ride it basically because I was lazy. A decision I regret now. But anyway, here are some scenes from the riverfront, as well as on South Main Street.



Here is a nice looking car heading south down South Main Street. According to the Memphis Area Transit Authority there are three lines that all come together on Main Street. The aforementioned Main Street line, Riverfront Loop and Madison Avenue line that turns the corner onto Main Street to make a couple of stops and tie into the other routes. The Riverfront Loop runs one-way in a counter-clockwise direction. The line next to the tracks picture above is for local freight, but I didn't see any trains on it while I was there.


They have Main Street blocked off to vehicular traffic and it is just open to pedestrians and trolleys. I did see a number of transit authority vehicles using the right of way as a street though. According to the MATA website, a daily pass is $3.50 and the base fare is $1. The low price makes me feel even dumber now for not having taken a trip around the loop at the very least. I am not sure when I will get to Memphis again, but I guarantee you I will ride every line this time.







Comments

Popular Posts