Once Upon a Time in Maine

I took these photographs sometime in the mid-1980s. I am not exactly sure when or if I took them all at the same time. The CV RS-11 may have come from a later trip, but I am not sure. I had heard about Rigby Yard in Maine and I had vague memories of seeing a railroad yard on Maine's waterfront from an apartment building high up on the Eastern Promenade sometime in the early 1970s. I also wanted to see Guilford's new paint scheme -- all gray with the big G. So I packed the family in the car one day and up to Maine we went.



I had not trouble finding Rigby Yard in South Portland, but we did have a hard time finding any trains actually moving. There were a number of locomotives parked and waiting for work, but I was disappointed not to see anything moving. (If I could go back there today, I would be anything but disappointed. Imagine seeing a B&M GP-7 in blue today?)


I did manage to find a newly painted GP-38 in Guilford gray. I remember at the time wishing it was in the front and the MEC in Harvest Gold were behind it, but not I don't feel quite so unlucky. After feeling a touch frustrated and let down, we took the kids into Portland to let them climb on cannons and to get something to eat. It was during this next leg of the trip that I managed to get this last shot.


I took a bunch of photos of this one. But I just noticed now that one of the boxes next to the locomotive read: break shoes. I didn't fret too much about the telephone pole being in the way at the time because RS-11s in Central Vermont colors were still pretty common in western Massachusetts. I was sure I would get another photo of one sooner or later. I don't think I ever did.

So, by now, a theme is pretty apparent and it is in line with the overall theme of this blog: Take nothing for granted. I came home from that trip to Portland thinking I had had a mediocre outing. The fact I didn't see any trains moving -- I did see one from a distance -- and didn't see either the B&M or Grand Trunk yards bustling with action left me down on the whole trip. I lamented about the fact Portland's grand passenger station had been leveled for a strip mall. (I myself had never seen Portland's joint B&M-MEC passenger station. It was gone before I was born. But I had an old uncle who took me to the spot once just so he could tell me what was there and what had been replaced by a mall and a parking lot.) Was it a mistake to wish for more? No. But I shouldn't have felt so disappointed either. I had a good day as it turns out. I have these photos, which I think a pretty cool now and I some others of my kids climbing on a cannon.

All in all, I would say it was a good trip. It is funny how one's perspective can change with time.



Comments

Popular Posts