Four: Rhode Island, January 21, 2013

One of the places I like to go when I get a day off is the small Providence and Worcester yard in Cumberland, Rhode Island. If you get there around 7, you can watch the first local of the day getting ready to head out and if you decide to sleep in you can still catch the second around 9 a.m. I was a little late the other morning, but I got there just in time to see a headlight heading north around the bend. The sight of missing a train usually makes me unhappy, but this time was different. The headlight heading north meant the crew was going to Woonsocket to switch the small yard there and that is one place I have always wanted to catch a train.
2009 in Woonsocket, RI on Monday, Jan. 21, 2013.

I caught up to GP38-2 2009 and 2011 switching the yard in Woonsocket and that is when I got a good look at 2009's side. I am not exactly sure what happened here -- I saw some stories about a fire last year, but nothing I can quote -- but it is the first time I have seen an P&W engine in such bad shape looks-wise. I have come to know the P&W as a clean looking railroad with a great paint scheme. I was a bit surprised to see 2009 looking so ragged, but I assume that is a good thing. It must mean business is booming to the point they don't have time to repaint it. At least that is the version I chose to believe. If anyone knows anything more about this, let me know.

2009 in Cumberland, RI the same day.

Comments

Popular Posts