Eight: New Jersey and a little Kismet

Our trip through the Mid-Atlantic ended with a run through New Jersey. I got off the highway in search of Dunellen, where my uncle was born. We didn't quite make. Instead, we saw a headlight as we went over a grade crossing. By the time we turned around, we were too late. I had begun to sense a theme in this trip -- it was either raining, cloudy or we were just missing our shots.

But sometimes just when things seem to be arrayed against you, kismet will pop up and change everything. I didn't have a good map, we lost the signs directing us to Dunellen and finally I randomly turned down a side street. I stopped at an intersection and my wife said ``look, a train store.'' I turned and looked and to my astonishment I saw The Model Railroad Shop at the corner of Vail Avenue and New Market Road in Psicataway, New Jersey. As a loyal reader of Railpace, I had seen the advertisement for the shop for years, perhaps decades, I just can't remember. I always wanted to visit, but because I almost never get to New Jersey I didn't think I ever would.

My youngest daughter was all in favor of going inside the ``train store.'' So we did. She ended up coming out with a couple of Thomas the Tank Engine books. I picked up a couple of books myself. I also came away knowing I had been in a great shop, run by great people. The guys here were friendly, knowledgeable and probably among the nicest train shop people I have ever met. In addition, they had a great selection of books, models and just about anything else a train buff would want. And, while the hours on the door said they closed at 5, we were still walking around inside at 5:45. More kismet.

After we left, we went down the street, turned a couple of corners and came to a grade crossing. I turned the car around in a dirt parking lot just so I could check the tracks out. Even if there aren't any trains coming, sometimes I just like to check things out. As I did, the sun came out, the crossing gates dropped and a New Jersey Transit passenger train heading inbound came roaring into view. I lifted my camera and got my eighth state. Kismet.

Comments

Popular Posts