Seven: West Virginia

During our recent tour of the Mid-Atlantic, we swung through Harper's Ferry, West Virginia. It was a cold and rainy day and my wife wasn't having anything to do with standing on the platform waiting for a train. But my little helper -- my 3-year-old daughter -- was more than happy to wait with Dad until a train came. Well, several trains came.

 We noticed an older woman with blonde hair would hop out of the back of a car in the parking lot every time the crossing gates went down and then would return disappointed when another CSX coal train came around the corner. It turns out she was visiting from Germany and wanted to take a photo of Amtrak's Capital Limited pulling into the station on its way to Washington. She wanted to know why the train hadn't arrived yet -- it was an hour late. I can understand her consternation given that trains in Germany often run with the efficiency of a watch. I smiled and shrugged. I suggested that she call 1-800-USA-RAIL and get the train status, but she said she didn't want to put anyone out. I couldn't quite convey it was an automated service and she wouldn't be putting anyone out.

My helper and I waved good-bye, collected my wife and then went down the hill for some hot cocoa and pie -- it was a very cold day. The next train through, as it turned out, was Amtrak. I smiled to myself knowing our German visitor had got her photo.

Comments

Popular Posts