Eleven: Virginia

Amtrak's Northeast Region 67, from Boston, passes through Ashland, VA.
I have always wanted to go to Ashland, Virginia. I have a soft spot for places named Ashland in general. Back when I was a newspaper reporter I covered Ashland, Massachusetts -- a small town with a double-tracked CSX (then Conrail) mainline running through the middle of it. Ashland, Virginia and Ashland, Massachusetts both share that trait. Come to think of it, so does Ashland, Kentucky.
Amtrak's train 67 heading toward Richmond.

But back to Ashland, Virginia... This is a nice town with a main street lined with interesting shops, restaurants, a nice hotel and a handsome brick train station that now serves as a visitors' center. There is also a small liberal arts college in town -- Randolph-Macon -- and I am a sucker for small college towns. I was pretty much ready to start looking at real estate listings and I haven't even got to the best part yet -- the trains.
Northbound CSX intermodal.

CSX and Amtrak run right through the middle of town between two halves of its tree-lined main street. I have seen railroads pass through towns before, but nothing like this, this is practically street running. I was chatting with the fellow who owns the local hobby shop -- Train Town & Hobby -- and he said about 40 trains pass through every 24 hours. I think I know where I want to retire.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This arrangement with the tracks in the middle of the road reminds me of Corvallis, OR, and of pictures I've seen of Indiana's branch of the Chicago commuter rail system.

-Noah
Brian said…
I have never been to Corvallis, but it's on the list now. Thanks for the tip.

Popular Posts