More Summer Reading

A few years ago I picked up a copy of the Buffalo Rochester & Pittsburgh Railway by Paul Pietrak and published by Pietrak and S.R.Ames Enterprises in Rochester. I almost didn't buy this book because it is softcover and has the look of something someone might have published on their own, which might be the case. The paper the book is printed on is a nice glossy stock and the photo reproductions are first rate.

Well, I am glad I didn't judge the book by its cover in this case. I thoroughly enjoyed this tale of the B. R. & P. and its line across western New York and Pennsylvania. It suffices to say, as Boston guy, I had never heard of this railroad before and was surprised by the vitality and power it once possessed before being swallowed up by the B&O. Pietrak's book tells the story of this great railroad and is full of photographs, charts, maps and drawings that just bring this tale to life.

The B.R.&P. seems to have had it all. Elite passenger trains, heavy coal drags, massive trestles and a route that took it through some of the most picturesque places in the northern Appalachian chain.  If you can find a copy of this book and are looking to explore a forgotten railroad from the turn of the last century, this would be a great one to take with you on that week off.

If you have read this book or have suggestions of your own, I would love to hear what you think. I am always looking for a good railroading book.

Comments

Popular Posts