Nineteen: Dorval, Quebec

Well, I am surprised and delighted that I have actually managed to get to number 19. When I started this blog I was thinking that if I got to 15 it would be a pretty good year. I think the fact I had a goal of 20 made me a little more daring and a little more eager to travel. It hasn't necessarily been good for my wallet, but I have memories that money can't replace. The money I spent to get them, though, well it can be replaced.

I took this at the VIA station in Dorval, Quebec  just outside Montreal. This is the third time I have hung around at this station and each time has been a most pleasant experience. I think that the VIA crews are among the friendliest people I have ever encountered. They always  have time to chat and are proud of their railroad and what it accomplishes every day.

When this train pulled in, I had my helper with me -- my three-year-old daughter. The crew gave her a chance to step into the car, accompanied by her father of course, to take a look around. She was thrilled to see that the train had a coffee pot and a kitchen. I was pretty thrilled myself -- I like coffee.

This was a tough photo to take. It had been raining for most of the day and it didn't look like there would be any sun at all, but late in the afternoon the skies cleared and the sun came out at just the right angle. Well, sort of... The lighting was perfect for westbound trains but this is an eastbound of course. As it was at the platform and the baggage was being removed, a westbound CN freight passed by but it was blocked by the VIA train. I really didn't mind though. I enjoyed watching the station crew filling up the cart with baggage and then driving it away down the platform and chatting with the train's crew while they waited for their colleagues to finish.

It was a perfect moment even if it wasn't the perfect photo.

Comments

Popular Posts