A Few Gift Suggestions: Books I Have (Part I)

Playing with Trains: A Passion Beyond Scale

This is an interesting little boo by former auto racer Sam Posey. I read this one a few years back, both because of the subject matter and because it was by Posey. (When I was a kid I used to follow Posey's career.) The book follows Posey's construction of his layout based on the Colorado Midland Railway, but it also digs deep into why people are drawn to trains. His writing is smooth and clean and the book is a good read, as we say in the business.


New Haven Power, 1838-1968: Steam, Diesel, Electric, MU's, Trolleys, Motor Cars, Buses & Boats

J.W. Swanberg and Alvin F. Staufer. I am drawn to detailed boos about specific railroads -- the above title notwithstanding -- so there is little surprise I am a fan of this book. From my first moments standing on the platform of Canton Junction as a child, to hearing my 80-something-year-old uncle talk about the double-headed steam trains he saw cross the Canton Viaduct, the New Haven has always had a special place in my heart. If following a railroad is almost a religious experience, then this is one of the bibles of that devotion. This is the kind of book that is best for a fan of the railroad, but I think anyone who lies trains would get a kick out of this book. Of course, you could easily substitute any of the other power books out there by Staufer for the railfan in your own house because many of them are top notch. This particular one is pretty hard to find these days and not necessarily cheap when you do find it, but if you are, or have a friend who, a fan of the New Haven, well, you have to have this book.

Rutland: 60 Years of Trying

R. W. Nimke. This isn't just one book, this is a series. I don’t have them all, but I have quite a few of them. The series comes in seven volumes spread across nine books and includes one book of nothing but track diagrams that is a joy for any potential modeler. As I have said in earlier posts, I have a soft spot for the Rutland since I discovered The Rutland Road by Jim Shaughnessy back when I was at UMass Amherst. The Nimke books take the reader into even greater depth about this quirky little railroad and just provide answers to so many questions. I think the mark of a good railroad book is to make you long for the ability to just step into the photos and see the sights of long ago -- these books do that. Like the New Have book, they aren't cheap, but if you have a fan of New England railroads in your life it is a good gift to get. Another nice thing about these books is that because there are nine of them, you can get gift ideas for holidays and birthdays for years to come.  

Comments

Popular Posts