Six: Cumberland, Maryland

I haven’t been to Cumberland, Maryland for a while. It doesn’t seem as busy as it once did. I suspect that has to do with the shift toward renewable energy.
The last time I was there I took photos of a young teen doing stunts on his bicycle. He ended up face planting on the pavement. I rushed over to see how he was and he got up and said: ``Did you get a picture of me falling?’’ He was quite proud of his feat. I laughed. Unfortunately, I told him, when I saw he was going to fall I put down the camera and rushed to where he hit the ground. He was disappointed. I did insist on calling the EMTs because he had hit the ground pretty hard. They declared him well enough.
This trip to Cumberland wasn’t quite so eventful. The yards were pretty empty all things considered and a thunderstorm was still a few counties to the west. After picking around town for a good train and good location to photograph it, we ended up pausing on a side street long enough to snap a shot out the window of the car. Not great, not optimal, but the best we could do and keep our schedule. Less than 30 minutes later we were miles to the west and under a tornado warning. The tornado didn’t materialize, but it was a rough day across Maryland and West Virginia.

Comments

Popular Posts