Hotwheels in Shirley, Mass.


I was out in Shirley, Massachusetts on Sunday and had a little excitement when the daily intermodal train went through with a smoking wheel about half-way back in its consist.  A couple of us apparently called the 1-800 line posted at the grade crossing because by the time I phoned in the guy who answered told me they were stopping the train. In all the years I have been photographing trains that is about the only thing I can remember ever going that I saw. (I was on a commuter train that derailed in 1979, but I didn't have a camera.) I tried to take a photo of the smoke coming from the wheel but it didn't come out very well, so I won't put it up here unless I get an overwhelming response to see it. 
HOT WHEEL -- The daily westbound intermodal train coming around the corner in Shirley. The recent warm weather has given us an early taste of spring. The train had a ``hot box'' and was stopped shortly after I took this.



Anyway, Shirley is a nice little town about 40 miles northwest of Boston with a population of 7,200. Pan-Am's mainline to East Deerfield and beyond runs through the center of town on a double-tracked right of way that looks like a giant median strip because it has roads on either side of it. The MBTA commuter trains to Fitchburg also make stops in town and I managed to get one coming and going while I was there. I am posting the shot of the train going inbound to Boston because it is the better of the two. That is why the locomotive has its red markers on. 

OLD SCHOOL -- An MBTA locomotive in an older and well-worn paint scheme pushed a Sunday commuter train to Boston.
I was also pleased to see the old-style MBTA paint scheme on the locomotive. I haven't seen a locomotive on the southside painted like this in a while. I also haven't seen one in such ratty condition on the southside either. I guess the southside gets a little more TLC than the northside.
One of the interesting things I have notice about Shirley is that since the daily intermodal move has been running it is easier to tell if a train is coming. Railfans like to congregate in the parking lot by the commuter rail station just before the train arrives. So, if you go to Shirley and see a crowd, it probably means a train is near. (Granted, it could just be the people waiting for a commuter train too.)
The commuter rail station is small structure that is more shelter than station. It is well maintained and has a lot of charm. You'll have to forgive me, I didn't take a photo of the station this time. I have some old ones laying around and if I find one I will post it. Otherwise it will have to wait until next time.  

Comments

Popular Posts