Norfolk Southern

I love that Norfolk Southern is rolling out a whole fleet of heritage units. The schemes will be going on ES44Ac and SD70ACe units. Click here: TO SEE the paint schemes. I know this isn't exactly breaking news, but the idea finially reached the tipping point in my head and I decided to jump in and just endorse the idea. (I know the folks at Norfolk Southern headquarters were just waiting to here from me. I do own about 20 shares of company stock!)
My hope is that I will be able to see all of the schemes. It will probably require more traveling because the only Norfolk Southern units I see on a regular basis come in on coal and intermodal trains on the old B& (Pan-Am.) So, I have an excuse to do more traveling! Always a good thing... even if the price of gas is quite steep these days. We filled up the little Ford for $69 the other day. I was a little shocked by that. I wasn't really paying attention because I haven't been filling up the tank lately.
But anyway, I'm off on a tangent.
I like that Norfolk Southern has decided to go with paint schemes that reflect the actual schemes used many years ago. I am also happy that they decided to paint so many units. I have to say that I didn't like the Union Pacific heritage units from a  few years back. Well, I thought they were pretty snazzy and I understand there isn't much point in painting a unit in SP or CNW or Rio Grande when there were quite a few units still running around in those colors when UP decided to embark on the project. But that doesn't seem to be an issue with Norfolk Southern, which just rolled out a Conrail heritage unit.
Personally, I am looking forward to seeing everyone. I am particularly nostalgic for the PC. I know there are a lot of New Haven purists out there who are rolling their eyes, but the PC was the new railroad in town when I was a kid and I was excited to see my first locomotive with the big PC ``worms in love" logo. So I won't apologize for wanting to recapture a part of my own past (wink.)

Comments

Popular Posts