Seashore Trolley Museum in Maine

The Seashore Trolley Museum is about one hour and 45 minutes north on Boston. It is relatively easy to get there -- just go north on Interstate 95 until you get to Kennebunkport and then follow the signs. Kennebunkport is also known as where the first President Bush had his summer White House. It is a lovely little town on Maine's coast and worth a visit when the summer crowds have thinned out a little.
The Seashore was founded in 1939, according to its website. It's opened seven days a week from Memorial Day to Columbus Day and on Saturdays and Sundays in October and May. It also opens for two weekends in December. Admission for adults is $8, children under 5 are free, which made my Little Helper happy. Okay, she didn't care too much but it did leave more money to spend on toys later. The main building does duty as ticket office and museum store. I have to say it has one of the best museum stores I have been to in a long time. I am particular to buying books when I visit these places and the Seashore's store had a great selection of not only books, but videos, DVDs and toys for my little helper.

A Boston car.

The trolley ride consists of an out and back journey into the Maine woods to a loop and small park out at the edge of the property. The crew were all volunteers and they wore motorman uniforms and were just nice guys. The day we were there they were running an open car and a PCC from Washington DC. After we took our trip out along the line, we got off an walked around the yard and barns.
They have a nice collection of U.S. and overseas trolleys, subway cars and buses. I particularly liked the doubledeckers from the U.K. It reminded me of my Irish grandmother -- she used to go to the U.K. to visit her sister and would always bring back some kind of toy including a few doubledecker buses and trams over the years. I was surprised at how narrow the stairs and the passages to the second level were. Though my wife and our Little Helper liked them just fine. 

A Motorman's view of the line.


Another thing I liked about the museum is that it has grabbed some recently retired equipment. While it was kind of funny to see an MBTA LRV I used to take to school preserved in the woods of Maine, it was nice to think that there will still be an example of this kind of car around in 100 years because these folks had the foresight to preserve it. The museum also had pieces of Boston's old Orange Line elevated structures.
All in all, I liked the Seashore Museum and recommend a visit. The staff is friendly and welcoming. The collection is interesting and varied. And the store had something for everyone. Well, at least something for all of us.

Comments

Popular Posts